Running activities have returned under new COVID-19 conditions. Coached running is from Lennox Garden on Tuesday from 6.30am; uncoached running is on in various locations from either 6.00am or 6.30am Thursday. Please note that the Saturday run and breakfast is not on at present, nor for the foreseeable future. Please see Facebook for updates and refer to the COVID-19 Information and Risk Management Plan for details about FIT’s return to face to face training in all disciplines.
FIT runs a range of coached and uncoached running sessions each week to suit all abilities, in different locations around Canberra.
The running sessions cater for:
- Long distance runners – Ultra, Full and Half Marathons
- Short distance runners – 5k and 10k
- Trail runners
The following information details our most popular running sessions.
Tuesday, 6.30am-7.30am — Coached, all abilities
Location: Lennox Gardens (behind the Hyatt Hotel)
These coached sessions vary – sometimes there’s a structured training program (e.g, for training in the lead up to the Australian Running Festival), and at other times the sessions focus on skills such as hill running or interval training.
If you’re new let the coaches know and they will suggest a group for you to join, pace groups are roughly divided into the following:
- 5 min per km (or about 25 mins to run 5km)
- 5.30 – 6.00 min per km (about 30 mins to run 5km)
- 5.30 – 6.30 min per km (slower warm-up pace)
- 6.30 – 7.00 min per km (about 35 mins to run 5km)
- 7.00 min per km (or over) – (run/walk, new to or returning to running)
The session goes ahead – rain, hail or shine!
Some things to keep in mind at Tuesday morning running:
- This is the effort session for the week. It will be uncomfortable, but so rewarding.
- Please make sure you keep off the cycle path when gathering to meet at 6.30am.
- Please listen carefully to the coaches’ instructions – there are only a few of them and lots of us!
- When running on the cycle path, be aware that it’s a shared path and there will be others on foot and on bikes approaching in both directions and wanting to pass.
- Keep left, run two abreast at most and be ready to move over quickly and share the path at any time.
Thursday, 6.00am or 6.30am – 7.30am — Uncoached
The Southside group meets at 6.30am at Bentham Street Shops – with coffee/breakfast afterwards. The Circuit follows the bike path to the lake, towards GG and back via Dunrossil Drive.
The Northside group is now meeting at the Hackett shops at 6.30am – the run is through Majura Nature Park. For those who want to go to brekkie afterwards there are lots of options at Dickson/Hackett shops.
Meet at the National Rock Garden (Barrenjoey Drive on the lake side of Parkway) at 6am to do the “boundary loop” – however members do what suits on the day.
Saturday 7.30am – returning soon
FIT members of all levels are welcome at the Saturday run held at a different location each week. Keep an eye on the News section, the FIT Facebook page or the weekly Newsflash for details.
New members, including walkers should attend the 7.30am start and make themselves known to the group. Don’t be shy and don’t worry about how far you can run or walk – we all start somewhere and the Saturday morning run is a great way to do this! This is one of our most popular events and is followed by breakfast at a local café.
There is one Saturday run start time, alternating between a path or trail, northside and southside. If you need to do a longer run, you can start earlier and loop back to the meeting point by 7.30am or continue afterwards (or both).
The runs will be advertised to members by the Wednesday before.
- Look out for each other – don’t leave any runner behind
- Carry your own water (the runs don’t always have water available)
- Be familiar with the maps (download the app and route)
- Enjoy the chat along the way!
Saturday breakfast etiquette
Saturday runs attract large numbers, which presents a number of issues.
- Please be considerate about where you park – if we are running from a suburban shopping centre please don’t park in the car park right in front of the newsagent or local supermarket – leave these for local shoppers.
- Bookings are for breakfast for 25-30 people: with a group this size café owners expect people to eat breakfast – FIT confirms this will be the case. Breakfast is booked for 8.30am – the cafe is aware there will be staggered arrivals. We tell the cafe the majority of people will be gone by 10am.
- Please note that all FIT activities and associated breakfast bookings are intended for FIT members and prospective members.