FIT has a range of coached and uncoached running sessions each week to suit all abilities. The running sessions cater for;
- Long distance runners – Ultra, Full and Half Marathons
- Short distance runners – 5k and 10k
- Trail runners
Tuesday, 6.30am-7.30am — Coached
Location: Lennox Gardens
These coached sessions vary – sometimes there’s a structured training program (e.g, for training in the lead up to the Australian Running Festival), and at other times the sessions focus on skills such as hill running or interval training.
Pace groups are roughly divided into the following:
- 5 min per km (or about 25 mins to run 5km)
- 5.30 – 6.00 min per km (about 30 mins to run 5km)
- 6.00 – 6.30 min per km (slower warm-up pace)
- 6.30 – 7.00 min per km (about 35 mins to run 5km)
- 7.00 min per km (or over) – (run/walk, new to or returning to running)
If you’re new let the coaches know and they will suggest a group for you to join.
Some things to keep in mind at Tuesday morning running:
- This is the effort session for the week. It will be uncomfortable, but rewarding.
- Please make sure you keep off the cycle path when gathering to meet at 6.30am.
- When running on the cycle path, be aware that it’s a shared path and there will be others on foot and on bikes approaching in both directions and wanting to pass.
- Keep left, run two abreast at most and be ready to move over quickly and share the path at any time.
- The session goes ahead – rain, hail or shine!
Thursday, 6.00am or 6.30am – Uncoached
- Southside – Meet at 6.30am at Bentham Street Shops. The Circuit follows the bike path to the lake, towards GG and back via Dunrossil Drive.
- Northside – Meet at 6.30am at Hackett shops. The run is through Majura Nature Park.
- Aboretum– Meet at 6am at the National Rock Garden (Barrenjoey Drive on the lake side of Parkway) to do the “boundary loop” – however members do what suits on the day.
Use the facebook group reach out to other members and check who will be there.
Saturday 7.00am – Uncoached
The Saturday run is held at a different location each week and is open to FIT members of all levels. The runs alternate between a path or trail, northside and southside. If you need to do a longer run, you can start earlier and loop back to the meeting point by 7.00am or continue afterwards (or both).
Details for the runs can be found in the Saturday run schedule. Keep an eye on the weekly Newsflash and the FIT Runners Facebook group for last minute changes.
New members, including walkers should make themselves known to the group at the start. Don’t be shy and don’t worry about how far you can run or walk – we all start somewhere and the Saturday morning run is a great way to do this!
Some things to keep in mind at Saturday morning running:
- Look out for each other – don’t leave any runner behind
- Carry your own water (the runs don’t always have water available)
- Be familiar with the maps (download the app and route)
- Enjoy the chat along the way!
- Please be considerate about where you park – if we are running from a suburban shopping centre please don’t park in the car park right in front of the newsagent or local supermarket – leave these for local shoppers.
- Breakfast is booked for 8.30am – the cafe is aware there will be staggered arrivals. We tell the cafe the majority of people will be gone by 10am.
- To help with breakfast bookings, RSVP in the Facebook runners group.